It’s Time to Uplevel Your Social Game
This month, we take a deeper look across platforms to showcase how to best understand your analytics and maximize your brand’s exposure with trending articles from around the web.
Knowledge is power. In this issue of Social on Tap, we’re taking a deep dive into the latest news pertaining to all of your favorite websites and applications for social media.
What’s New with Facebook? This past week at the Facebook F8 conference, the company made several major announcements including:
- A New Design (FB5): The redesigned look is intended to make using the platform simpler and faster with easier navigation for users to go from public spaces to private ones such as Groups.
- Secret Crush: After receiving feedback about how users claim that they believe there is an opportunity to explore potential romantic relationships within their own extended circle of friends, Facebook has unveiled a new feature called Secret Crush, which allows you to select up to 9 of your Facebook friends you want to express interest in.
- Shipping Through Marketplace: Facebook is adding the ability to ship Marketplace items anywhere in the continental U.S. and pay for purchases through the social network.
- Portal Device Expansion: Facebook will soon take their Portal and Portal+ video chat device outside of the U.S. and will begin integrating WhatsApp calls into Portal with end-to-end encryption. The team will also be adding Superframes to the Portal device, which will allow you to add photos from Instagram feeds as well.
What’s New with Instagram?
- “Create Mode”: Instagram will be unveiling a new feature called “Create Mode” for Instagram Stories, which will be a text-based post, that allows you to add quizzes, polls and other content.
- Shopping From Creators: Creators are an integral part of the Instagram community and as such, Instagram is testing out the ability to shop inspiring looks from the creators without leaving the app. Previously, creators have included links to websites such as LikeToKnowIt, to showcase a product, but this new feature will allow them to tag directly in the app. This feature is being tested out this week with a group of creators. More details here.
- Hiding Like Counts: Rumor confirmed. A few weeks back, rumors circulated that Instagram was going to start testing the idea of taking away how likes are displayed for posts, making them only visible to the user who posted the photo or video. At the F8 conference, it was confirmed that the platform is testing the feature in Canada first, in order to create a “less pressurized environment where people feel comfortable expressing themselves.” Read more here.
- Donation Stickers: Instagram has launched a new feature, dubbed Donation Stickers, that will allow consumers to raise money for a nonprofit that they care about through Instagram Stories.
What’s New with Twitter?
Following ongoing criticism that Twitter is too confusing for most people to use, the platform has been working on a new prototyping app, twttr, which was created to test and get feedback on new features for the platform. New updates include:
- Swiping Gesture: Twitter unveiled a new swiping gesture that allows you to like a tweet (their take on IG double tap)
- New labels in threads: To help indicate who is the original poster and who you follow
- Darker mode: To improve visibility, Twitter added a darker mode, to make the feed more readable.
More details here.
While many PR firms are mere vendors, LDPR is your strategic advisor. We will work with you to create a specialized, integrated approach to your PR needs. There’s a reason our clients stay with us year after year. If you're ready to take your PR game to the next level, reach out to us.Let's Chat